Sunday 13 March 2011

Romulus Whitaker

Earlier this week, I had the pleaure of interviewing (e-interviewing in this case) the Indian conservationalist and herpteologist Romulus Whitaker. Whenever I interview people, I take some time to read about their career and track down at least the abstracts, and often the full texts of their publications. In this case, I came across this article from 1994 about Romulus Whitaker by his (then) wife Zai Whitaker-
"I married a croc man"

It's a nice piece of science writing and an insight into the enviably eccentric life that a career in biology can bring.

Today, Rom is perhaps best known for his work with the Agumbe Rainforest Research Station: a fascinating-sounding place that combines research, conservation and public educational roles.

The interview will appear in the next issue of "Practical Reptile Keeping" magazine (pub: Kelsey).

No comments:

Post a Comment